1. Who formed the majority in terms of population in Sri Lanka?
2. Who formed the majority in terms of population in Belgium?
3. In modern democracies, power is shared…………
4. Sri Lanka emerged as an independent country in………
5. Community government refers to……..
6. Federal division of power refers to………….
7. Concurrent list does not include………….
8. The constitution now provides for a two tier system of Government. It does not include………….
9. Which state in India has its own Constitution?
10. Who is Mayor?
11. Who is a Sarpanch?
12. What is the popular name of rural local self – government?
13. Who were known as Africans-Americans?
14. Who started the civil rights movement in USA?
15. Who are referred to atheists?
16. Why did Tommie Smith wear black socks and no shoes?
17. A migrant is a person who………..
18. A homogenous society refers to…………..
19. At which level of government are seats reserved for women in India?
20. Name the leaders who fought against untouchability.
21. Caste Inequality refers to……………
1. What is the reason for tension in Belgium?
2. Explain the power sharing arrangements among governments at different levels.
3. What do you know about power sharing arrangement in Belgium?
4. Describe the tension that existed between Dutch and French speaking people in Belgium.
5. Describe the diverse population of Sri Lanka.
6. What is the background of the Sri Lanka Tamils?
7. What notions of power sharing existed prior to the emergence of democracy?
8. What do you mean by a ‘good democratic front’? Explain.
9. Compare the different ways in which the Belgians and the Sri Lankans have dealt with the problem of cultural diversity.
10. What were the advantages enjoyed by the Sinhala Community in Sri Lanka? Describe the consequences.
11. Describe the majoritarian measures adopted by the Sri Lankan government to establish supremacy.
12. What measures were adopted by the Belgium government to accommodate regional and cultural diversities?
13. Describe the different forms of power sharing in modern democracies with examples.
14. Why is power sharing desirable?
15. Describe the ways in which power can be shared among different social groups.
16. Mention two tiers of Indian federalism. Which is the third tier?
17. Why were the boundaries of several old states changed in 1947?
18. Why did some national leaders fear when the demand for the formation of states on language was raised?
19. Why is the government not compelling states to adopt Hindi as their official language?
20. What is meant by decentralized administration in the context of India?
21. What do you know about the federal system?
22. What do you know about the unitary system?
23. What is the condition for making any change in the basic structure of the constitution?
24. What is federalism? Explain with example.
25. Explain the role of union list, state list and concurrent list in the India context.
26. Explain the Panchayati Raj.
27. Describe the functions of a village panchayath.
28. How are local bodies organized in cities? Explain.
29. Why was the need of decentralization recognized?
30. What are the legislative powers are of distributed between state and central government? Explain.
31. Bring out the three fold distribution of legislative powers provided by the Indian constitution.
32. What is the language policy followed by the government?
33. What was the aim of the Black Power Movement? Name the leaders.
34. Give examples to prove that social divisions of one kind or another exist in most countries.
35. When, by whom and with what aim was the Civil rights Movement organized?
36. Explain with examples different forms of social diversity.
37. Evaluate the impact of social divisions on politics with examples.
38. What is feminist movement?
39. Why is dropout rate among girls very high in India?
40. How is the equal wages act applied to women at work in India?
41. Why do human rights groups demand protection for minority communities?
42. Why did Gandhi say that religion can never be separated from politics?
43. What is meant by ‘caste vote bank’?
44. What do you know about Equal Wages Act?
45. Mention the negative aspects of caste politics.
46. What forms can communal politics take?
47. What are the constitutional provisions that make India a secular state?
48. “women still lag behind men despite improvements since Independence.” Give evidence to prove this statement.